University of the Greater Region - UniGR
The “University of the Greater Region – UniGR” offers the opportunity to study and conduct research in 3 languages, 5 regions and in 6 universities. The Greater Region covers Saarland and Rhineland-Palatinate in Germany, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, the French region of Lorraine as well as Belgian Wallonia with its French and German-speaking communities.
The partner Universities
The following partner universities have a total of around 132,500 students and employ 6,500 teachers and researchers:
- University of Luxembourg;
- Saarland University;
- University of Liège;
- University of Lorraine;
- University of Kaiserslautern;
- Trier University.
Opportunities for students and PhD candidates
- Free access to courses, libraries, canteens and other university facilities and services.
- The possibility for regularly enrolled students to attend courses and take exams at partner universities.
- Reimbursement of travel costs within the Greater Region via the UniGR mobility fund.
Other possibilities to study across borders:
- Cross-border study programmes with joint degrees
- Joint courses, e.g. block seminars
Possibilities to do a cross-border doctorate:
- Free access to the partner universities’ transferable skills training offer.
- UniGR European PhD label: a supplement to the doctorate certifying that the doctoral candidate has completed a period of mobility and acquired intercultural skills.
- Joint supervision of a thesis: opportunity to prepare a PhD simultaneously at two different universities in different countries, which concludes with a joint PhD degree.
Opportunities for researchers and teaching staff
Seed funding and support for bottom-up activities at the University of Luxembourg is available for:
- The planning of co-operations, the setting up of joint degree programmes, the organisation of symposia, workshops, doctoral seminars and other events as well as the putting together of joint applications for research funding, etc.
- Reducing administrative obstacles.
Via the “UniGR Bottom-Up Fund”, lecturers and researchers at the University of Luxembourg can apply for the reimbursement of expenses such as event costs, translation or travel, if activities are carried out in cooperation with UniGR partner universities. The application form and further information are available by contacting Mareike Wagner (contact below).
About the UniGR
The “University of the Greater Region - UniGR” project was funded by the European Union as part of the Interreg IVa Greater Region programme until April 2013. In the course of 2014, the Central Office of the UniGR established an independent confederation of universities with its own legal structure. Since November 2015, it acquired its own status as a non-profit-making organisation based in Luxembourg. A Secretary General, Mrs. Frédérique Seidel has taken office at the Central Office of UniGR in Saarbrücken (Germany) since September, 1st. 2016.
The university confederation aims at facilitating cross-border mobility of students, PhD candidates, scientists and lecturers and to support the creation of new networks, strengthening the Greater Region as a place of science and knowledge. Together, the six partner universities serve as an engine of regional development and growth, enhancing their reputation and visibility in Europe as well as globally.
Cross-border cooperation is particularly promoted in the UniGR key areas: Biomedicine, Border Studies and Material Science & Resources Efficiency. Moreover, UniGR promotes the exchange of best practices by bringing together the experts of different fields from the six partner universities.
Further information is available on the University of the Greater Region – UniGR website.
Contact/UniGR officer at the University of Luxembourg: