Prof. Dr. Eric Tschirhart
Vice-President for Academic Affairs
University of Luxembourg
- PhD In pharmacology, University of Strasbourg I, France, "Paracrine regulation of bronchial smooth muscle tone" (summa cum laude) - 1986-1988
- Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches, University of Nancy I, 1994
- Master in Business Administration (DESS-CAAE), Institut d'Administration des Entreprises, Université de Nancy II, 1997
- Qualification "fonctions de Professeur des Universités", section n°65: cell biology and section n°66 : physiology, by the "Conseil National des Universités" (Journal Officiel de la République Française, n°147 du 267 juin 2001, page 10184), 2001
Eric Tschirhart works since 12/2003 as full professor for physiology at the UL. His research interests have been bronchial hyperreactivity delineation until late 80s as a PhD student, then endothelin receptor antagonist development in a US pharmaceutical research center for cardiovascular and pulmonary targets until 1992. As a group leader in the Centre de Recherche Public-Santé (Luxembourg), he then developed a research team to elucidate the control of superoxide anion secretion by calcium ion fluxes in human immune cells; most development implicated fluorescence measurement of biological and biochemical processes in live cells in vitro, with a profound insight in the discovery of calcium-controlled transductional events leading to superoxide anions secretion; a complementary research activity linked to the investigation of oxidative stress consequences within the vascular wall was carried out. Simultaneously, he taught physiology and pharmacology at the Centre Universitaire de Luxembourg (now UL) and at the University of Louvain (medical and pharmacy school). After joining the University of Luxembourg late 2002, fluorescence-based studies became fully functional in autumn 2004 with two PhD students.
Since, the group extended to 2 researchers (Sabrina Bréchard and Sébastien Plançon), two post-docs (Natacha Steinckwich and Alexandre Salsmann), 3 PhD students (Véronique Schenten, Marie-Cécile Faure and Marc Hemmer) and one technician (Chantal Melchior).
Eric Tschirhart has other positions within the University of Luxembourg:
- directeur des études "Formation spécifique en Médecine générale"
- directeur des études "European Master in Small Animal Veterinary Medicine"
- from 2006 to 2007, Advisor to the Rector for Research
- since late 2007, acting Administrative Director
Eric Tschirhart is also:
- member of the scientific advisory committe from ECVAM-Joint Research Center from the European Commission, Ispra
- field editor "Immunopharmacoly & Inflammation" for Fundamental & Clinical Pharmacology, recurrent reviewer for international journals in physiology and pharmacology (such Fund. Clin. Pharmacol., Eur. J. Pharmacol., Med. Chem. online,…)
- expert for the Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale (INSERM), France
Most recent peer-reviewed publications
- Schenten V., Bréchard S., Melchior C., Plançon S., Salsmann A., Tschirhart E.J. Ca2+-Dependent Regulation of NOX2 Activity via MRP Proteins in HL-60 Granulocytes. Calcium Binding Proteins 2008, 3(1): 25-30.
- Bréchard S., Melchior C., Plançon S., Schenten V., Tschirhart E.J. Store-operated Ca2+ channels formed by TRPC1, TRPC6 and Orai1 and non-store-operated channels formed by TRPC3 are involved in the regulation of NADPH oxidase in HL-60 granulocytes. Cell Calcium 2008 (in press).
- Bernard, Y., Melchior, C. Tschirhart, E.J., Bueb, J.-L. Co-Cultures of Human Coronary Smooth Muscle Cells and Dimethyl Sulfoxide-Differentiated HL60 cells Upregulate ProMMP9 Activity and Promote Mobility - Modulation By Reactive Oxygen Species. Inflammation 2008 (in press)
- Bréchard S., Tschirhart E.J. Regulation of superoxide production in neutrophils: Role of calcium influx. J. Leuk. Biol. 2008 (in press)
Last updated on: 27 Jan 2009