Certificate - Principles of Biobanking
Biospecimens have become a strategic tool for healthcare and medical research, research and conservation in biodiversity, animal, plant and microbial biology as well as in translational research and systems biology through all types of –omics applications. Optimal management of biospecimens and bioresources through biobanking for future research and conservation has now become a new discipline.
- To provide the theoretical, operational and practical knowledge required to facilitate the activities of existing biobanks and assist the creation of new ones.
- To encourage bilateral exchange of knowledge and skills across different thematic biobanking groups involved in biospecimen conservation, storage, science and research.
Persons that have completed this course will:
- Understand in depth and produce an oral synthesis of the common principles of practical biobanking
- Put different types of biobanks in perspective and draw conclusions about the theoretical underpinnings that were operational.
- Apply the scientific basis of biobanking/biospecimen research in Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) development and implementation and in research exploitation of samples.
- Question the logistical, practical and technical steps of biobanking, and evaluate their coherence and adequation.
- Compare different reports on biobank risk management and mitigation.
- Develop Best Practices/Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Validate biobank protocols, training and technology transfers.
- Analyze adequation to biobank Quality Management Systems (QMS) and the principles of certification, quality assurance and 3rd party ISO accreditation.
- Master the regulatory, legal and ethical aspects of biobanking.
- Produce biobank cost analysis and recovery reports.
- 2,000 Euros for administrative charges (ONLY AFTER definitive agreement of the application)