Looking back at over a hundred years of history of the industrial estate of Belval:
January: The “Maison du Nombre” welcomes its first users: the IT Helpdesk and part of the SnT.
September: UNI-VAL 2, the second student residence with 204 units, opens in front of the “Maison des Sciences Humaines”.
Spring: The University management, central administration and the Faculty of Language and Literature, Humanities, Arts and Education move to the Belval Campus, the new headquarters of the University - a symbol of the country’s vision to invest in high-quality public research as a major contribution to Luxembourg's economic future.
March: University open day is held on Campus Belval for the first time: over 3,000 visitors join the event!
February: Arrival of LUCET and a first group of COSA members in Belval's “Maison des Sciences Humaines”
January: First University staff members from the Belval Office and the IT Department move to Belval's “Maison du Savoir”
October: Keys are handed over to the future users of the “Maison du Savoir”, the “Maison des Sciences Humaines” and the “Maison de l’Innovation”.
September: The first student residence with 175 units opens in Belval in the “Square Mile” area.
- Parliament approves a €140 million supplementary budget to provide funding for IT and scientific equipment as well as furnishings for the first university buildings in Belval.
- The refurbished blast furnaces and their outdoor installationsare officially opened.
- Work is started to complete the interior of the computer centre.
- The Park & Ride opens, south of Belval-Université railway station.
September: Employees of the Universityvisit inside the “Maison du Savoir" and the “Maison des Sciences Humaines" for the first time.
May: The foundation stone for the “Maison du Livre” (university library) is laid. Building work is scheduled to be finished in 2016.
- The government administrative building is officially inaugurated, which houses the Environmental Authority, the Water Authority, the National Data Protection Commission as well as the Fonds Belval.
- The foundation stone is laid for the “Maison du Nombre” (House of Numbers) and the “Maison des Arts et des Etudiants” (House of Arts and Students).
February: The structure for the “Maison du Savoir” is completed.
July: The Start-up Centre is opened.
May: Beginning of the construction of the “Maison de l’Innovation”
March: The Parliament passes the law on the construction of the “bâtiment laboratoires” and for the one of the “ateliers d’essais ingénieurs”.
January: Start of construction works on the data processing centre
November: The first prize for the category “ouvrages d'art et structures” as well as the “Prix du Public 2011” are awarded to the Belval-Université railway station by the Fondation de l'Architecture et de l'Ingénierie Luxembourg.
September: Inauguration of the “House of Biomedicine”
June: The Parliament passes the law on the construction of the “Maison du Nombre” (House of Numbers), the “Maison des Étudiants” (House of Students) and for the one of the “Maison de l’Innovation” (House of Innovation).
End: Opening of the exhibition about the “Cité des Sciences”
November: Groundbreaking for construction of “Maison des Sciences Humaines"
September: Inauguration of the new railway station of Belval-Université, designed by the architect Jim Clemes
March 2009: Groundbreaking for construction of “Maison du Savoir”, the main university building on Belval.
2008: Opening of the Belval Plaza shopping centre.
2006: Inauguration of the red building of RBC Dexia, subsidiary of the Dexia Bank Group, on Belval.
2005: Inauguration of Rockhal, a hall for concerts and major events on Belval.
> > > December 2005: The Luxembourg Government decides to move the University of Luxembourg headquarters to the Belval site.
2001: An international competition sponsored by the development corporation AGORA for a master plan for the vacant industrial site of Belval was won by the Maastricht architects' firm of Jo Coenen & Co. The Government gave the green light to the implementation of the plans for the "Cité des Sciences".
2000: Classification of blast furnaces A and B as industrial monuments
1997: Blast furnace B, the last still operating blast furnace in Luxembourg, was shut down. A surface area of 120 hectares reverted to fallow ground. The ARBED steel and rolling works in the eastern section of the site (currently ArcelorMittal Esch-Belval) remained in operation.
1996-97: Blast furnace C was dismantled and transferred to China.
1995: Blast furnace C on Belval was shut down on Belval.
1979: Blast furnace C was put in operation on Belval with a daily capacity of 4300 tons
1970: Blast furnace B was put in operation on Belval with a daily capacity of 3000 tons.
1965: Blast Furnace A was put in operation with a daily capacity of 2300 tons. In the 1960s, Luxembourg's iron producing industry, with its 30 plus ironworks and numerous steel and rolling mills, brought in almost one-third of the gross national product. Well into the 1970s, ARBED employed a total of 27,000 people, including about 7800 at Belval.
1937: The ironworks was taken over by the Luxembourg steel conglomerate ARBED (Aciéries Réunies de Burbach-Eich-Dudelange SA, the present ArcelorMittal) that had been founded in 1911.
1919: A group of Luxembourg, Belgian and French companies founded Société Métallurgique des Terres-Rouges and took over the plants and mines of Gelsenkirchener Bergwerks AG.
1909: Gelsenkirchener Bergwerks AG acquired the municipal forest of Escher Bësch from the city of Esch/Alzette and cleared 39 hectares of it to build the Belval ironworks. The first two blast furnaces were put in operation in 1911.