Facts and figures
The city of Luxembourg was founded in 963 by the ardennese Count Sigefroy as a small town at the crossroads of the ancient Roman Arlon-Trier and Metz-Aachen roads. Because of its strategic location, the County of Luxembourg was coveted by European powers (Spain, Burgundy, Austria, France, Prussia) at different periods. Following the military constructions that made the city one of the most important fortresses of time, it was given the nickname of Gibraltar of the North.
Occupied by foreign powers for more than eight centuries, Luxembourg obtained its definitive independence in 1839 following the Treaty of London, but remained under the Dutch crown. In 1890, the King of the Netherlands, having no male offspring, gave the crown of the Grand Duchy to the family branch of Nassau-Weilburg.
Occupied twice by German troops in 1914 and 1940, Luxembourg was nevertheless able to assert its will to independence from major powers in the post-war periods.
A founding member of the Benelux and the European Union (EU), member of the United Nations and NATO, the Grand Duchy today enjoys a high profile within the international community. Luxembourg City is one of the three administrative capital cities of the EU. Being the fifth financial centre in the world, Luxembourg was able to develop favourably to become one of the countries with the largest GDP per capita in the world ($116,000 in 2014; source: Statista).