Home // Coronavirus // FAQ // Health and safety

Health and safety


Frequently asked questions

Last update: 18 June 2020

I have a confirmed infection with SARS-COV-2. What should I do?

According to the guidelines of the Ministry of Health, in this case Isolation applies. This measure is designed to prevent the infected person, who is contagious, from spreading the infection to his surroundings.

Isolation is prescribed by the physician for a minimum of 14 days after the onset of symptoms. During this period of confinement at home, contact with other people must be avoided and a surgical mask must be worn whenever the infected person is in the presence of others.

Additional information on what you and your family should do when you need to be isolated at home can be found here.

I have had intimate contact or I live in the same household as a person who is confirmed to be infected. What should I do?

According to the guidelines of the Ministry of Health, in this case auto-quarantine applies. This means you must stay at home during seven days counting from the day of the confirmed diagnosis. During this period, contact with other people should be avoided.  During the seven days following a self-quarantine, self-monitoring should be carried out.

Additional information on what to do while in auto-quarantine can be found here.

I do not present any symptoms, but I might have been in casual contact with infected people. What should I do?

According to the guidelines of the Ministry of Health, in this case the auto-monitoring applies.

Auto-monitoring lasts 14 days and applies to people who are likely to have been infected with the virus through contact with a sick person.  The purpose of auto-monitoring is to detect symptoms of infection as soon as they appear.  The person under auto-monitoring measures his or her temperature twice a day and makes sure there are no breathing problems or coughing. During auto-monitoring, normal activities can be continued.

For any additional information, please check www.sante.lu directly.

I have symptoms compatible with COVID-19 and I think I am infected. What should I do?

  1. Call the doctor with whom you are registered here in Luxembourg.
  2. If you do not have a doctor, you can use econsult, the remote consulting tool for teleconferencing with a doctor.
  3. Do not go to the doctor or to the hospitals’ emergency rooms if you suspect that you are infected with COVID-19.
  4. Go to the hospital emergency departments when you have a serious health problem.
  5. In case of an emergency, always call 112!
  6. Please inform the University Security department 46 66 44 5555 and send an email to healthinfo@uni.lu

How does eConsult work?

A new remote medical consultation platform is now in place, it’s called eConsult. The web-based platform allows patients to have an online consultation with a doctor, dentist or midwife, via audio or video. In the current context where it is essential to limit movement and contamination risks, eConsult offers a secure environment for remote consultation.

  1. Register on the platform https://econsult.esante.lu. You need to create a personal account to be able to make appointments with the specialists, consult your consultation history and access your document space. You need your social security number to register.
  2. Once you are registered, select the doctor or the type of specialist corresponding to your needs among those available on the platform. Request an appointment by consulting the doctor’s schedule. Doctor and patient then contact each other by teleconsultation.

What does close contact mean?

According to the national authorities, you are considered to have been in close contact:

  1. if you shared the same living area as the sick patient when the latter presented symptoms
  2. if you have had direct, face-to-face contact, within two meters of the patient while coughing, sneezing, or talking
  3. with your flirts and intimate people
  4. with your class or office neighbours
  5. if you have been a neighbour of a sick patient on an airplane or train, or if you have stayed in a confined space with an infected person (e.g. private car)

Has there been a case of confirmed infection with Covid-19 among University students or staff?

There is currently [mid-June 2020] no confirmed case of COVID-19 in the University community.

The University asked me to stay off campus. Can I get support from the University for the essential needs (shopping etc.)?

If you are under quarantine and you need support, please contact healthinfo@uni.lu. If you are not under quarantine we recommend that you keep your contacts to a minimum. However, it is possible for you to make your purchases or administrative procedures by taking the usual precautions.

Is the University testing for infections?

No; this is the preserve of the health authorities.

Who takes care of repatriation and its costs?

Public authorities and insurances will take care of repatriation and its costs. Please contact your embassy and insurance.

Does the University provide masks for students and staff who need to come to campus?

As a general principle, visitors, students and staff should bring their own protective face masks. Re-usable masks will be provided to staff who resume work at the campuses.

Which safety measures should be taken by students and staff whose presence on campus is mandatory?

  1. Wash your hands regularly while working, before and after work
  2. Cough or sneeze into your elbow or a disposable tissue that needs to be thrown in a dustbin with lid after usage
  3. Greet without handshakes
  4. Do not share equipment such as tablets, phones or folders and prefer digital signatures and virtual exchange
  5. Ensure your work space is regularly aired out, if possible
  6. Cover your mouth and nose with a mask or scarf where a distance of two meters to other people cannot be respected and in all common spaces (receptions, elevators, bathrooms, copy machine areas etc.)
  7. Stay home if you don’t feel well or show any symptoms of COVID-19

Mental health

How can I contact Wellbeing and Inclusion Services during this period? What support can I access at the moment?

During the coronavirus outbreak, the way we deliver our counselling and support services is changing. We are still holding the same office hours and offering video and phone calls – we are just not offering face-to-face meetings at the moment.

If you feel you would benefit from some additional support or advice we encourage you to contact the Psychological and Wellbeing Team by using aidepsycho@uni.lu or inclusion@uni.lu. The sessions will assist you if you would like to access practical or emotional advice to support you in managing your wellbeing or to help you with any worries or concerns that you may have.

What can I do to keep me busy when I’m self-isolating?

It’s important that we try to keep busy during this period of self-isolation. Here are some ideas that may help you to do this:

1. Routine

Create a daily routine that builds in what you have to do as well as the essential building blocks of wellbeing; sleep, healthy diet, exercise and a little meditation. Visit Campus Sport and Campus Wellbeing to find some ways to engage with sport and wellbeing online. We are currently offering yoga, pilates, qi gong, mindfulness, meditation and relaxation online. This time is unprecedented and it’s important to stay active and look after yourself. Please try to stick to a daily routine and keep eating well.

2. Do something physical

Bake, paint, gardening, try a new sport online

3. Keep yourself mentally active

Puzzles, writing, drawing, learn a new skill online – something new for your CV or if you don’t have one already, make a CV

4. Look after yourself mentally

  1. Practice meditation and mindfulness. It’s as simple as downloading the app.
  2. Use social media, connect with your loved ones. Join the University Friday night Netflix party.
  3. Relax, listen to music or watch your favourite shows.

What do I do if I am in crisis or in the event of a mental or physical health emergency?

Please note, that the inclusion and wellbeing office is not a crisis team. If there is a life-threatening emergency:

  1. Call security on 5555 or 46 66 44 5555
  2. Call 112

If you are injured, or feel that you cannot keep yourself safe, you should also call 112 before going to the accident and emergency department of your nearest hospital.

I am a student at the University of Luxembourg. Where can I find financial support?

Students who are in a serious and exceptional financial situation have different opportunities for financial advice and support. Please visit our uMatter page for an overview and more detailed information.

Where can I find additional support?

The goal of uMatter is to support our campus community by providing practical information and counselling to help everyone on campus achieve their best possible mental health and wellbeing.

Website: covid-19.lu
The website from the government includes general information on the epidemic and the COVID-19 virus.

Helpline 8002 9090 - schouldoheem.lu
The Ministry of National Education, Children and Youth has set up an aid and support system for pupils, teachers and parents during the suspension of classes.

The schouldoheem.lu website
aims to support home learning and distance learning provided by teachers. The teaching materials made available on this platform are a complementary and optional offer compared to the work that teachers ask their students.

The Helpline 8002 9090 is part of the offer of Schouldoheem.lu

Helpline 8002 9090
The National Education Helpline 8002 9090 answers all questions related to the needs and concerns of children, young people and parents at home: home learning as well as physical and mental well-being. A team of psychologists supports pupils, students, parents and teachers in the context of well-being in a situation of isolation at home. The team offers active listening in relation to their socio-emotional experience of the confinement situation e.g. education of children, stress, isolation, school pressure, anxiety, aggression and can respond with advice, occasional or regular psychological support and techniques of relaxation.

The Helpline is available in several languages including Luxembourgish, French, German, English, Portuguese and Spanish.

This service is offered by psycho-socio-educational professionals from the Psycho-social and school support center (CePAS) and from the Psycho-social and school support services (SePAS).