Home // Coronavirus // Information... // Health and safety

Health and safety




What should I do in case I test positive for COVID-19?
What should I do if I am a high-risk contact of a positive person?


Guidelines for students

In case you suspect a COVID-19 infection , you should

  1. Call the doctor with whom you are registered here in Luxembourg.
  2. If you do not have a doctor, you can use eConsult, the remote consulting tool for teleconferencing with a doctor (further information in the FAQ below)
  3. Do not go to the doctor or to the hospitals’ emergency rooms if you suspect that you are infected with COVID-19
  4. Go to the hospital emergency departments when you have a serious, non-COVID-19 related, health problem.
  5. In case of an emergency, always call 112!
  6. Please inform Security 46 66 44 5555 (available 24/7)


Frequently asked questions

Last update: 10 February 2021

I have a confirmed infection with COVID-19. What should I do?

Please refer to the guidelines.

I have had intimate contact or I live in the same household as a person who is confirmed to be infected. What should I do?

During 7 days after the confirmed diagnosis, people close to the infected person (living under the same roof, intimate relations) have to:

  • Stay at home (quarantine); this is the period during which most of the people will show the first symptoms. You will find an information sheet about quarantine on the government‘s website: www.covid19.lu
  • Avoid contact with other people.
  • Monitor their state of health and isolate themselves as soon as they show symptoms. 
  • For an additional 7 days, measure their temperature twice a day and make sure there are no breathing problems or coughing. During auto-monitoring, normal activities can be continued.

People in close contact who are especially vulnerable are given the advice to immediately call a doctor if these symptoms manifest. Report that you are a person with risk factors and that you have symptoms of a severe respiratory infection.

I am at the University (student/staff/teacher/…) and I feel sick. How should I behave/what do I need to do?

Please refer to the guidelines.

I do not present any symptoms, but I might have been in casual contact with infected people. What should I do?

According to the guidelines of the Ministry of Health, in this case the self-monitoring applies.

Auto-monitoring lasts 14 days and applies to people who are likely to have been infected with the virus through contact with a sick person. The purpose of auto-monitoring is to detect symptoms of infection as soon as they appear. The person under auto-monitoring measures his or her temperature twice a day and makes sure there are no breathing problems or coughing. During auto-monitoring, normal activities can be continued.

For any additional information, please check www.sante.lu directly.

I have symptoms compatible with COVID-19 and I think I am infected. What should I do?

Please refer to the guidelines.

What does close contact mean?

According to the national authorities, you are considered to have been in close contact:

  • if you shared the same living area as the sick patient when the latter presented symptoms
  • if you have had direct, face-to-face contact, within two meters of the patient while coughing, sneezing, or talking
  • with your flirts and intimate people
  • with your class or office neighbours
  • if you have been a neighbour of a sick patient on an airplane or train, or if you have stayed in a confined space with an infected person (e.g. private car)

Has there been a case of confirmed infection with COVID-19 among University students or staff?

To-date [7 October], there have been 57 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the University community.

The University asked me to stay off campus. Can I get support from the University for the essential needs (shopping etc.)?

If you are under quarantine and you need support, please contact healthinfo@uni.lu. If you are not under quarantine we recommend that you keep your contacts to a minimum. However, it is possible for you to make your purchases or administrative procedures by taking the usual precautions.

Does the University provide masks for students and staff who need to come to campus?

As a general principle, visitors, students and staff should bring their own protective face masks. Re-usable masks will be provided to staff who work at the campuses.

Which safety measures should be taken by students and staff who are present on the campuses?

Please refer to the guidelines.

How does eConsult work?

eConsult is a web-based platform launched by the national health authorities that allows patients to make an online consultation with a doctor, dentist or midwife.

In the current context where it is essential to limit movement and therefore contamination risks, eConsult offers remote medical consultations, via audio or video. eConsult allows patients to carry out a teleconsultation in a secure environment adapted to remote consultation.

  1. Register to the platform econsult.esante.lu. You need a personal account in order to be able to make appointments with the specialists, consult your consultation history and access your document space.
  2. Once you selected the doctor or the type of specialist you need, you can request an appointment by consulting the doctor’s schedule. Doctor and patient then contact each other by teleconsultation.
  3. At the end of the consultation, to ensure the follow-up of the sick patient, eConsult sends automatically all the information to a pharmacy, laboratory, or whatever applies.

Which options currently exist to get tested for COVID-19?

During the last months, several alternative and commercial test methods have been introduced in addition to the classical PCR-testing. A frequently used technique is the detection of viral antigens which indicate the presence of virus material and thus can indicate an infection. Notable, those tests are less sensitive compared to PCR-testing, but they can be performed on the spot in as little as 15 minutes. 

This article gives an overview on the currently available testing methods and explains the principle they are based on. 

Mental health

How can I contact Wellbeing and Inclusion Services during this period? What support can I access at the moment?

During the pandemic, we are still holding the same office hours and offering video and phone calls – we are just not offering face-to-face meetings at the moment.

If you feel you would benefit from some additional support or advice we encourage you to contact the Psychological and Wellbeing Team by using aidepsycho@uni.lu or inclusion@uni.lu. The sessions will assist you if you would like to access practical or emotional advice to support you in managing your wellbeing or to help you with any worries or concerns that you may have.

What can I do to keep me busy when I’m self-isolating?

It’s important that we try to keep busy during a period of self-isolation. Here are some ideas that may help you to do this

  1. Routine
    Create a daily routine that builds in what you have to do as well as the essential building blocks of wellbeing; sleep, healthy diet, exercise and a little meditation. Visit Campus Sport and Campus Wellbeing to find some ways to engage with sport and wellbeing online. We are currently offering yoga, pilates, qi gong, mindfulness, meditation and relaxation online. This time is unprecedented and it’s important to stay active and look after yourself. Please try to stick to a daily routine and keep eating well.
  2. Do something physical
    Bake, paint, gardening, try a new sport online
  3. Keep yourself mentally active
    Puzzles, writing, drawing, learn a new skill online – something new for your CV or if you don’t have one already, make a CV.
  4. Look after yourself mentally
    Practice meditation and mindfulness. It’s as simple as downloading the app.
    Use social media, connect with your loved ones.
    Relax, listen to music or watch your favourite shows.

What do I do if I am in crisis or in the event of a mental or physical health emergency?

Please note that the inclusion and wellbeing office is not a crisis team. If there is a life-threatening emergency:

  1. Call security on 46 66 44 5555
  2. Call 112

If you are injured, or feel that you cannot keep yourself safe, you should also call 112 before going to the accident and emergency department of your nearest hospital.

Where can I find support?

Mental Health & wellbeing
Visit the uMatter platform. The goal of the uMatter platform is to support our campus community by providing practical information and counselling to help everyone on campus achieve their best possible mental health and wellbeing.

Financial Support
Students who are in a serious and exceptional financial situation have different possibilities for financial advice and support. Please visit our uMatter platform.

General COVID-19 information
The covid19.lu website from the government includes general information on the pandemic and the COVID-19 virus.

General support for pupils/teachers/parents
The Ministry of National Education, Children and Youth has set up an aid and support system for pupils, teachers and parents.
Helpline 8002 9090
Web site schouldoheem.lu