Home // Students // Useful infor... // What does “Double Legalisation” mean?

What does “Double Legalisation” mean?

If the country that has issued the documents is not a signatory to the Hague Convention,the documents must be

  • authenticated by the competent authority of the country of origin
  • and legalised by the embassy (“Double Legalisation”).

Pursuant to this procedure of “double legalisation”

  • The document must first be authenticated by the authorities of the country that issued the document in accordance with the relevant procedure of that State. The authorities authenticate the signature and the capacity of the person who issued the document. In other words, this part of the procedure is used to verify whether the signature on the document is that of the person who signed it and whether this person actually has the capacity he or she claims.
  • The document must then be legalized by the authorities of the country that will receive it, i.e. the embassy or the consulate representing Luxembourg in the country in which the document was issued. If there is no Embassy of Luxembourg in your country, please contact the Embassy of Belgium.


Take a copy of your diploma to the university in which you have obtained it, and ask for a university administrator to sign the copy                      (= legalisation). Then, take the signed copy to the embassy, where the signature of the university administrator shall be authenticated (= double legalisation).

Please note:If the documents have not been written in French, English or German, they must be accompanied with an official translation translated by a sworn translator.