Home // Students // Mobility // OUTGOING stu... // Health insurance during mobility

Health insurance during mobility

During your stay abroad, you might need to access healthcare.

In a UE Member State, the EEA or in Switzerland

You can use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card facilitates the access to basic healthcare under the same conditions as the legal provisions of the Member State, which means that you will be reimbursed in line with the tariff scales applied in that country.

Before you leave, please check your EHIC card validity and if necessary proceed with its renewal with the Caisse nationale de santé.

In a country with a bilateral convention with Luxembourg

Participating countries (subject to modifications): Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cape Verde, Québec, Macedonia, Morocco, Montenegro, Serbia, Tunisia and Turkey.

For these countries you need to submit a form to the social security institution of your country of stay. This form certifies that you are entitled to sickness benefits in kind during your stay. You will thus be reimbursed by the local institution, in line with the tariffs and rates they apply.

You must order the Idoine form at least 15 days before departure, via the Caisse nationale de santé website.

Other countries

Healthcare invoices from any other country will be reimbursed by the Caisse nationale de santé in line with the tariffs and rates applicable in Luxembourg.

To this end, the invoice must:

  • be settled
  • be detailed (in medical terms and not with codes)
  • be in one of the following languages: English, French or German

Please note that the costs of medical care and hospitalizations are different from one country to the other and might be higher than in Luxembourg. In this case, the cost difference will be at your disadvantage.

It is therefore advised to take out an additional personal insurance to mitigate those eventual costs.