Home // University // News // Latest News // Coronavirus: updated advice for students and staff

Coronavirus: updated advice for students and staff

twitter linkedin facebook google+ email this page
Published on Tuesday, 25 February 2020

The University has updated its advice for students and staff regarding travel and the COVID-19 disease.

Travel advice

Based on the current guidance of the Luxembourg authorities, the University recommends avoiding all travel to the following areas affected by an outbreak of the COVID-19 disease:

  • China, the Hubei province and Wuhan in particular;
  • Macau (S.A.R)
  • Hong Kong (S.A.R)
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • the regions of Lombardy and Veneto in Italy.

If you have returned from any of these areas in the last 14 days and develop symptoms of cough or fever or shortness of breath, you should immediately:

  • stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu;
  • contact the Health Inspection at (+352) 247- 85650 or via 112, and make sure to mention that you travelled to an affected area.
  • Please follow this advice even if your symptoms are minor.

If you are a mobility student in one of the affected areas, please make sure to report your presence in the region to your national embassy or consulate.

If you are a mobility student planning to depart to one of the above affected areas for your mobility semester, please contact the International Relations Office.

Recommendations if you recently arrived from China’ Hubei province

Incoming staff, visiting researchers and students who have recently travelled in or arrived from Hubei province or its capital Wuhan at the centre of the coronavirus outbreak in China, are dispensed from work or classes at the University’s campuses for a period of two weeks after arrival. This is a simple precautionary measure to help ensure the safety of all staff and students.

If you have travelled in the affected area and develop symptoms of a respiratory disease after your arrival, please immediately contact the Health Inspection at (+352) 247- 85650 or via 112, and make sure to mention that you travelled to China.

Do not visit your doctor or go to the emergency services to avoid potential transmission to others.

Please contact healthinfo@uni.lu for any outstanding queries regarding your residence or accommodation.

University reiterates recommendations to prevent infectious diseases

The University of Luxembourg reiterates its general recommendations to inhibit the spread of infectious diseases:  

  • Please wash your hands frequently with soap for at least 30 seconds, or use hand disinfectant;
  • Practice good respiratory hygiene – cover mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, use tissues and dispose of them correctly;
  • Avoid close contact with infected persons;
  • Avoid touching eyes, nose or mouth.

What to do if you have symptoms of the flu

Should you experience symptoms of the flu (cough, fever above 38 degrees C, respiratory problems) please stay at home in order to minimise the risk of infecting others in the community. Please monitor yourself closely and seek medical attention if the condition does not improve.

The World Health Organisation has declared the COVID-19 outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. The Luxembourg authorities are monitoring the development of the virus outbreak.

You can find the latest updates here:

World Health Organisation;

Luxembourg Ministry of Health

Luxembourg Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in French)

The University of Luxembourg closely monitors developments. We are in contact with the national health authorities to ensure the health and safety of our students, staff and visitors. We are ready to act upon official advice, and we are ready to help anyone who might need advice, support or guidance.

Please read the FAQ below for further information. You can also contact the hotline healthinfo@uni.lu if you have additional questions.


Questions and Answers

I have returned from a trip to China. I do not present any flu-like symptoms. What should I do? 

It depends.

If you have travelled to the Wuhan area / Hubei province, the University recommends that students, researchers and employees avoid coming to study or work on campus for a period of 15 days after their return from China, and to limit contact with colleagues and the population as much as possible.

If you have travelled to other regions in China, no restrictions apply.

Is this a quarantine? Do quarantine regulations apply?

No. The University simply aims to minimise the risk by limiting contact during a potential incubation period. You are free to go out for necessary needs, such as shopping or administrative procedures.  

I have returned from a trip to China. I have flu-like symptoms. What should I do? 

In this case you should stay at home, avoid contact with other people and immediately contact the health services under (+352) 247- 85650 or call 112 and absolutely mention the fact that you have travelled to China. Do not visit your doctor or seek emergency care to minimise the risk of contagion.

I am a Chinese student/researcher currently in China and I plan to return to Luxembourg to continue my studies / work on a research project. Should I stay in China until the situation calms down?

If you are travelling from Hubei Province and the Wuhan region, the University recommends that you postpone your planned trip, taking into consideration the travel restrictions currently in effect in China and internationally.

If I miss my classes because of a late arrival or a period of voluntary isolation, will this have a negative impact on my evaluations?

No. If you find yourself prevented from travelling or stranded in an area affected by the virus, or if your behaviour is in compliance with the recommendations above, the absence will be considered authorised.

Will my salary continue to be paid in case I am asked to stay off campus?

Yes, since your absence is at the request of the employer.

Who can I contact if I have questions about this?

Please contact the e-mail healthinfo@uni.lu

Is there a possible impact on exams?

If that was the case, the University would examine on a case by case basis.

The University asked me to stay off campus. Can I get support from the University for the essential needs (shopping etc)?

If you have travelled in the Hubei / Wuhan region, and if you do not suffer from flu symptoms, the University recommends that you keep your contacts to a minimum. However, it is possible for you to make your purchases or administrative procedures by taking the usual precautions (wearing a mask, for example). 

How do you minimise the impact on other residents of the University student residences?

The residents of student housing are informed through flyers and posters distributed in the residences. Cleaning services have been advised to frequently disinfect strategic areas such as doorknobs, handrails, common bathrooms etc.

I am a University student and I am supposed to spend a mobility semester at a Chinese university. What am I supposed to do?

Please contact the International Relations service. Should it be impossible to complete the mobility semester at the Chinese university of your choice as planned, the University will help you find an alternative.

I am a prospective student living in China and would like to study at uni.lu. Will the coronavirus have an impact on the evaluation of my application?

No, this will not be the case.

Who can I contact at the university for information or support?

Please contact the e-mail healthinfo@uni.lu